Rehoboth Baster Community

Hardap Councillors lose it

Published by Jul 06, 2007

Share |

Tensions in the Hardap Regional Council flared again this week, when councillors Theo Diergaardt and Edward Wambo almost came to blows.

Both Diergaardt and Wambo are responsible for constituencies in Rehoboth and represent the ruling Party.

The Namibian was reliably informed that Diergaardt threatened Wambo with physical violence and had to be restrained by fellow councillors.

"Diergaardt was so aggressive.

He vented his frustration by kicking and shoving council chairs and tables up and down," a source claimed.

Approached for his response, Wambo declined to comment.

Diergaardt switched off his cellphone in the reporter's ear.

At Tuesday's Council meeting, a furious verbal confrontation erupted between Diergaardt and Wambo, as tempers flared over two high-ranking officials who are on suspension.

They are the Council's Chief Regional Officer, James Sankwasa, and its Chief Control Officer, Leonard Stephanus, who were suspended early last year after council property was found at Stephanus' farm.

Council has been dragging its feet for a year now over laying formal charges related to the discovery - a matter which has, in the past, also unleashed blazing rows among councillors during meetings.

A source told The Namibian that Diergaardt was the first to allegedly level accusations, following a motion by Wambo to find an amicable solution on the suspensions.

Diergaardt accused Wambo of not being a bona-fide Swapo member and of being the mastermind behind the plans to oust Karas Governor Katrina Hanse-Himarwa from the Council.

Wambo claimed Diergaardt tape-recorded a clandestine meeting, where it was planned to oust him and Willie Swartz as Swapo Party regional leaders.

The Namibian was reliably informed that Wambo has laid a complaint against him.

Hardap Acting Regional Commander, Inspector Kaduwa, yesterday however denied claims of any criminal charges against Diergaardt.

"I was informed by the Charge Office about a councillor who only made a sworn statement regarding an incident at Tuesday's Council meeting, but no case has been registered yet," he said.

When approached for comment yesterday, Governor Hanse-Himarwa declined to comment.

She said the matter was sub-judice as it was in the Police's hands.

"I'm not prepared to discuss internal issues with the newspaper," she said.

Source: Namibian